This history of the Parsonsburg Fire Company, later known as the Parsonsburg Volunteer Fire Company, was compiled from the minutes of the organization. However, the minutes prior to 1951 were not available.
The need for fire protection became apparent demanded action when a call for assistance was sent to the Salisbury Firemen. An old landmark, the Minos Handdy Parsons Home was destroyed by fire on April 16, 1924 and other nearby homes were damaged. The grateful townspeople collected a donation of $35.00 for the assault of a company which was returned when it was learned Parsons bird was organizing a fire company.
Pvfc was organized September 08, 1924 with the encouragement of Mr. Fred Greer senior and his son, chief of the Salisbury Fire Department, and meeting was held in the old lodge room over the E.R. Store. Officers elected were Joshua B. White-Chief; Olan Humphreys-President; Harlan Perdue-Treasurer/Secretary; Walter Jackson- Trustee and the fifth member is unknown.
The first piece of equipment costs $300.00 and was a single 40 gallon chemical tank mounted on a hand-pulled cart. The equipment was pulled by strong arm firemen and anyone else that was available. Sometime later, it was adaptive so it can be pulled by vehicle belonging to E.R. the car was housed in a shed at E.R. Ennis Store.
The people quickly responded and two years later the fire company became motorized when the old handcart was exchanged for a double chemical tank mounted on a model T Ford truck. The truck was purchased from G. C. Rayne in Pittsville and I.S. White build the body and mounted the tank. About 1935, the double chemical mounted on the model T was sold to Mr. Dan Hastings.
The original firehouse was built on its present site in 1925 on land donated by E.R. Ennis. The building cost $400.00 And the note for its construction was signed by Walter Jackson and Harlan Perdue. Most of the labor was furnished by the members the first floor house the fire truck and the second floor was for the monthly meeting and two cots for the men who slept at the station prior to the installment of the fire siren.
The company was incorporated in 1927 and by January 29, 1929, less than fire years since organizing, a GMC with American La France equipment and a 500 gallon pumper with an eighty gallon booster tank was purchased.
On November 7, 2012 Fire Chief Steve White placed our current firehouse located at 33030 Old Ocean City Road in service at 4:11pm. The cost of the new building was 2.5 million.
Nature: Medical Emergency
Nature: Medical Emergency
City: Princess Anne
Help us to continue making a difference in our community.
Please makea donation to the Parsonsburg Fire Company today.